Monday, August 8, 2011

Polpetta alla Sansevero



Polpetta alla Sansevero
(Meatballs Sansevero)
serves 4 to 6
(Italian/American)
Normally meatballs are fried and then added to tomato sauce and cooked long and slow, and either served as a sandwich or as an accompaniment to pasta; My wife's favourite way to eat them though is as pictured . . . directly from the frying pan . . . no sauce, no pasta, no bread; just freshly fried.  When I fry these she is usually close by for "quality control";  “. . .that one isn’t round, guess I’ll have to eat it now!”, “. . . that one's too small, guess I’ll have to dispose of it!”.
Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2-pound ground lean pork or 1/2-pound of hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
1/2  cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2  cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4  teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil to fry with
Preparation
1.  In a bowl, thoroughly combine the ground beef, ground pork (or sausage meat), breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, parsley, cheese, nutmeg, egg, and salt and pepper.  Form mixture into golf ball sized meatballs; for a nicer finish roll each meatball in additional dry breadcrumb before frying, it will also give you one last opportunity to make them round.
2.  Refrigerate the completed meatballs for about 1/2 hour before frying to allow them to set up and the flavours to mix.
3.  Heat a large, heavy skillet over moderately high heat.  Add oil and fry meatballs until browned on all sides.

4.  After meatballs are browned, add them to your simmering tomato sauce and allow them to simmer for at least 1/2  to 1 hour .  Serve accompanied by sauced pasta,  as a sandwich, sliced as a pizza topping, or place 4 meatballs in an oven-proof rarebit cover with sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, bake in the oven until the mozzarella is bubbly and serve as   "Meatballs Parmesan".

Next Week's Posting:  Memphis Style Dry Rubbed Ribs

5 comments:

Velva said...

Your meatballs look absolutely divine. I can see why your wife stays close by to ensure quality control. Thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

They look truly fabulous, I have saved the recipe to try at the weekend and i have bookmarked this blog for further inspiration

Unknown said...

Thanks for your input, I hope you'll both enjoy all the recipes I feature. Buon Appetito!

Tiffani said...

I just discovered your blog via the PW Tasty Kitchen site. I was looking for a recipe for Italian Easter Bread (with the eggs - here's a picture of one I made a few years ago - http://breakfastattiffanis.blogspot.com/2008/03/cuisenaire-rod-creations-and-easter.html) and your Brasciole alla Sansevero recipe came up. My mother-in-law named that as one of her favorite dishes her parents made.

Anyway, I bookmarked your blog. Looks like lots of great things here!

Unknown said...

Tiffani - Glad you liked the blog, sorry I didn't have an Easter Bread recipe . . . I remember them from my childhood, they were great. Hope if you find one you post it on Tasty Kitchen. If you try the Brasciole I hope your Mother-In-Law finds it as good as she remembers.

Foodie Blog