Tuesday, February 10, 2015
Mushroom and Madeira Crostini
makes 6 crostini
6 1-inch thick slices of Italian bread
2 or 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon butter
6 to 8 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon of thyme, finely chopped
Kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chicken broth
1/4 cup Madeira wine
toast the bread:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Brush both sides of each slice of bread with some of the olive oil and place on a cookie. Place cookie sheet in oven and toast bread until the side up begins to brown and becomes crispy.
3. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and rub the crusty side of each slice of bread with the peeled garlic and turn each slice with over.
4. Continue toasting the bread until this side of the bread begins to brown and becomes crispy. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven.
sauté the mushrooms:
1. Heat butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter is completely melted and the mushrooms and sauté, unmolested until the mushroom slices begin to soften and brown slightly.
2. Sprinkle with salt and a few grindings of freshly ground black pepper. Add the minced garlic and thyme and continue sautéing for 1 or 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth and Madeira wine, raise the heat under the pan to high and reduce the liquid by half and is thickened.
bring it all together:
Spoon some of the mushrooms and liquid over each of the toasted slices of bread and serve immediately.