3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound unsalted, sweet creamery butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
12 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
4 or 5 seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers
prepare the batter:
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl or a 4 cup measuring cup.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry just until most of the lumps are dissolved, do not over mix.
4. Add 8 ounces of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos and mix to thoroughly distribute; allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place your oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat your oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 9x13x2-inch glass baking pan.
bake the corn bread:
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining 4 ounces of grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cornbread to cool and cut into large squares. Can be served warmed or at room temperature accompanied by honey or honey butter.